Peel back foil to expose tater tots...

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Chalk up another 18

After skipping last week, I had to get some exercise this morning. Did basically the same route from my last post. However, this time I skipped the Olympian High School detour and rode from Olympic Pkwy to Birch via Santa Venetia(?). This street goes past Otay Ranch HS and ends at to Mater Dei HS. I was surprised how much of a gradual incline Santa Venetia had. Got a bit tired going up that street.

I did realize this time that eating correctly makes a big difference in the ride. Although I had my water bottle, I didn't have much of a breakfast and so when I got back to the Paseo Ranchero hill, I was feeling a bit light-headed. I "chugged" up most of that hill standing up. I was pretty out of breath at the top, but at least I didn't stop pedalling.

I'll remember to eat better before my next ride.

5 Comments:

  • Been trying to get a little more bike action on my end as well. So far, even with some windedness, I do find myself enjoying it (save for the saddle sores).

    By Blogger mikshir, at 05 June, 2009 11:53  

  • ooh, cool! got yourself a road bike or mountain bike? yeah, I've really got to get some biking shorts. I'm sure my rides would be a bit more comfortable with them.

    By Blogger bert wolfe, at 06 June, 2009 09:34  

  • Hey Bert, Are you going to ride on Monday? I'm in my office that day and was planning to do about 20-25 that day.

    What time of day do you ride? I think in the morning from your posts and that is good for me after about 9 or so.

    If you are thinking about shorts, Performance in Bonita has their Performance Elite Short on sale for 44.99 (reg 64.99). This was rated as the best short under $100 by bicycling mag is last months issue. I was acutally thinking of getting one of these in a bib myself, just to try it out.

    By Blogger Thor, at 06 June, 2009 20:55  

  • Thor, Monday is a possibility! Not sure yet though. I'll have to give you a call. If I do, let me apologize in advance for slowing down your regular pace.

    BTW, I rode the 125 south today to get another look at that hill and bridge. GEEZ! that hill northbound does look like a doozy! Also, what do you do at the area where the non-FastTrack vehicles have to pay. I wasn't sure if the bike lane kept going straight or if you have to go veer to the right where the non-FastTrack lanes are. I was also confused at the 905 on how to get back onto 125 north. Did you say I could just stay on the left turn lanes to get back on?

    Thanks for the info on the shorts. I might check them out. Canine was looking for some too. She might try taking spinning classes.

    By Blogger bert wolfe, at 06 June, 2009 23:16  

  • I actually only usually avg 15mph (which is slow for someone who rides as much as I do) so don't worry about that. I may have trouble keeping up with you.

    As for the 125, always just stay to the far right. You'll go through the toll plaza to the right of the guys who are paying (don't stop, just keep going). Then you get back on the fwy just like the cars do. No special lane, just stay to the right. It's been a while since I've been on the 125, I can't even remember if there is a bike lane at all, or just a nice shoulder.

    By Blogger Thor, at 07 June, 2009 20:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home